Friday, February 23, 2007

XXXIX: It's been a while

That deafening silence you hear, broken only by the sound of chirping crickets, is the clamoring for an update from the Watsons. So in brave defiance of popular demand, I'm here to update you on our happenings. I realize it's been two months since we last spoke, so certainly much has to have happened. Well, it hasn't. That's not entirely true but it sure seems that way at least.We survived the holiday season with few lasting injuries. The highlight of the trip to Indiana may have been seeing the birth of a cow, which was a useful segue into the weight-loss resolutions for the new year. Since returning east, life has been fairly routine, with the kids in school, Regis driving all over the Garden State, and me working more than I would prefer. To think that we have an established routine is pretty wild; it's been two years since I moved out here (I drove out east on Super Bowl Sunday in 2005), and so much has changed yet so much has not.

Watching the Colts win the Super Bowl this year was particularly bittersweet, given that we were not back home to partake in the sub-zero post-game partying. It would have been nice to be in Indy for that experience. Jimmy and I have tried to make up for being absent by purchasing every conceivable piece of Super Bowl memorabilia available via the interweb. Regis finally suspended our on-line shopping privileges when the inflatable horse holding the Lombardi trophy arrived. It was interesting how many people commented after the game that they found themselves rooting for the Colts because of us. I had about 10 people from work make that comment, and Regis and Jimmy said a lot of people at school did as well.

Maggie and Annie are doing just fine, especially Maggie who has been enjoying the recent snow. I've never seen a child so in love with the snow - "bliss" is the first word that comes to mind. Jimmy and I took advantage of the snow to do some sledding. The only unfortunate thing is that all the hills in our yard lead to either the street or an immovable object (e.g, a chain-link fence or a 35-foot pine tree). This did not stop us, given that the snow was ice-covered and perfect for maximum acceleration. Couple that with the use of the infamous disc sled, which provides for absolutely no steering or control, and things were looking fairly optimistic that the local ER would be hosting one or both of us.


Annie has been enjoying life at home (her last year to do so since preschool beckons next year). She has quite the imagination; we're never quite sure what character she is portraying that day. The other day she took some time to read her dad a story, which went something like this:
"Dear Pac man, I have a contest. This is one party I don't want to miss. This is a CAKE party. Woooooooo, isn't this delicious marmalow? OH BOY, ask pup cake and the rainbow. The end"

I, for one, can't wait for the sequel to that one. I think that's about it for now. Oh, one more thing, Valentine's Day came and went without a fire. We decided against making that an annual tradition.


Hope all is well; let us know how you all are doing