Wednesday, April 13, 2005

NYC Update Volume 2

Hello all,
Hope things are well wherever this email finds you. As with the first update, please feel free to pass this on, as well as to reply to me if you want me to add addresses to the list, etc.

Things are going well so far here in the Tri-State area. Jimmy is in full-swing in Kindergarten at St. Mary's School of Military Science and Warfare. Just kidding. It's just St. Mary's and it's in Wharton, New Jersey, which is home to a street that has, sequentially, I'm not making this up, Steve's Tires, Mary's Bakery, Vin's Gas Station, Bill's Diner, and Mike's Liquors. Another interesting tidbit: St. Mary's School is in Wharton, the Church is in Dover, and the parking lot between the two is in Mine Hill. And all of this on about 4 acres of property. That’s New Jersey for you. Anyway, about the best thing we could've heard from Jimmy's teacher was that "it seems like Jimmy has been with us since the beginning of the school year." Well, that's great news for us, and not surprising since he gets that from his mother.

Maggie and Annie are adjusting quite well to the move -- ok that's a lie. I can't lie to my family. They aren't adjusting well, they are adjusting -- they love their new house, but that's the problem. They love their new room. Notice I said room, not rooms. They share a room now. So, every night we go through the following routine.
8:00 p.m. -- "Good night girls."
8:14 p.m. -- "Jim, are they giggling?"
8:15 p.m. -- "Girls, go to bed"
8:22 p.m. -- "Jim, are they jumping on their beds?"
8:23 p.m. -- "Girls stop jumping on your beds"
8:30 p.m. -- more giggling
8:33 p.m. -- "Girls, time for your valium"
I kid…. Mostly.

Anyway, all is well and we are getting settled little by little. St. Mary's is having its annual carnival in a few weeks and we will be working that, so expect a thrilling edition of this email complete with tales of Carnies and overdoses of fried food.

The job continues to go well, and the commute to "the City" becomes more tolerable each day. I think the commute is the thing that makes NY'ers the grumpy curmudgeons that everyone assumes them to be. That commute sucks the life out of you. Fortunately, for me, my family puts the life back into me whI get home. But the work I'm doing is great, the people are smart, and for the first time in a while it's nice to be doing what I'm doing.

We're planning some field trips in the near future, so stay tuned for those thrilling details. Jimmy is helping plan the itineraries, so you can just imagine the places we'll be going.
I realize this email is way more exciting than some update about first-hand experiences in Rome, with the passing of a once-in-a century Pontiff, and witnessing a once-in-a-generation Papal conclave, but I must be going.